type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Lonely, lonely yarn

I just finished my first pair of socks (picture to follow once they are dry). This is pretty monumental for me; other than toes and heels, the ONLY time I knit on these socks was on the subway, and only when I get a seat, so my total output was anywhere from 0-8 rounds a day. Slow going, but a really nice portable project. And I learned that I love knitting socks. And wearing socks. And trying on socks in progress.

Last weekend I had to order another ball of yarn for a different project (more on that later). Now it seems just silly to order one ball of yarn, and pay shipping for such a tiny thing, and I didn't have any more sock yarn, and excuses and excuses. So I threw in some sock yarn; I figured the timing was perfect, I wanted to start another pair this weekend, and it would be sure to arrive by Thursday. Ahem.

The last UPS tracking message said that my package left Chicago on the 14th at 1 am. No problem, well on track to be here by Friday, maybe even Thursday. Then, nothing. No update Thursday. 36 hours went by, and I didn't know where my yarn was. I've driven from Chicago to New York; even on a slow UPS truck, no way it would take more than, say 20 hours. I assumed the worst; the truck crashed, spilling yarn across the highway. Or thieves absconded with my yarn (because that Patons Kroy is SO valuable). Or the driver got pulled over for drunk driving, and was now in prison while his truck just sat there. Either way,the yarn was getting lonely. I was getting lonely. I don't WANT to work on a sweater; I want to make more socks, and I want to make them NOW.

So this morning I got up and ran to the computer. Actually, first I ran to the window, because there's this storm coming, and if it hit early maybe I could stay home today, but no, only a half inch. So then I ran to the computer, and hit UPS, and it says that the yarn is in Secaucus, NJ. This is very, very close to me. Unfortunately it also says this "THE PACKAGE IS DELAYED DUE TO EMERGENCY CONDITIONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL".

Now I know there's a storm coming. I know they keep upping the expected accumulation. I know there is probably some ice already on the roads. I am aware of all of this. But there is no storm outside my window, and there probably won't be until this afternoon. There is no way that weather is causing this delay. So I'm thinking that one of the above theories must be true. And I'm telling you, if my yarn has highway grime on it when I finally get it, I'm going to be PISSED.

Labels: ,