type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Truly Madly Deeply

This one is going to be a winner. I know, one should not judge when one is a mere 6 inches into the knitting, but lemme tell you something; the force is strong with this one. She is speaking to me. She is literally flying off the needles. I can't even believe how quickly it's going; I started on Saturday, ripped and restarted on Sunday afternoon* , and lookie where she is!



OK, so maybe it doesn't seem quite so impressive to the casual viewer, but I do have a job, you know.

The pattern is The Slink from Domiknitrix and oh, what a joy to knit. It's a brilliant pattern; she tries to avoid seams as much as I do; I would rather Kitchener until my hand falls off than do mattress stitch. So the beginning side seam is cast on provisionally, and will later be grafted to the other side seam. All the shaping on the body is done with stitch pattern, which pulls in the waist, and frankly saves this from being a stockinette boredom beast. It's a 6 row repeat of nothing but straight knit and purl, so it's perfect for a night of say, watching the Mets kick butt in the season opener.


The only thing that's bothering me is this; it seems oddly familiar. You know, knit side to side. A nice turquoise/aqua color. Hmmm. I fear I may be falling into a funk. A hand-knit, side to side, turquoise funk. Next sweater, I'm going back to the neutrals that I so love...

*There's this thing I apparently like to do called "pretending I am not a short person". It involves starting a sweater long, because I don't want it to show my stomach. Then, hopefully quickly, I'll hold it up and realize that my belly and my knees are pretty far apart, and there's a lot of middle ground, and yes, I really could afford to get rid of that extra 6 inches or so. In the case of the Nature Cable sweater, let's just say that the "roll hem" is very, very bulky. In this case, I called a mulligan.

Labels: