type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Slinking Right Along


OK, I admit that to the casual observer it may look like a blue blob. But if you are a knitter, and you look closely, it may magically begin to look like a sweater! Most of that is the back (now complete). The bunched up bits are the beginnings of a front.

By the end of this evening, I should be halfway through the front. I have discovered the one thing I don't love about this pattern though. See that jog at the side seam? Where the waist ribbing suddenly drops by ten stitches? (Come on, click the picture; you know you want to.) Why did she do that? Why not step it down gradually, so it's less of a cliff? I thought about working it that way, but it would have involved re-calculating the last fifteen or so rows at the end, and I wasn't sure if the shaping would work around the bust. So I left it. I did notice that they are very careful not to show the side seams in the book. Harumph.

Oh, I did change one thing about the way I was knitting this. Notice the stitches all bunched up on a straight needle? The annoying click-clack of the metal circular was driving BBMM nuts. I suddenly remembered I had these.



These were a gift from BBMM two Christmas' ago, yet this is the first time I've used them (not because I didn't want to, I just went on a circular binge for a while there). They're pretty wonderful; incredibly sharp, sculpted tips, perfect for the splitty yarn I'm using. Nice and smooth polish, but with the little bit of grip that makes me love wood & bamboo needles. Plus, aren't they purty? BBMM doesn't much like the knitting, but he's good enough to enable it anyway. It is one of many reasons that he will be able to request handmade items at will, for as long as we both shall live.

Labels: