type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Gifting Starts Early

My Mom was here for the week. Among the topics of conversation; the difficulty in finding wool socks. The hatred of seams on the toes of socks. The irritation of always having cold feet. The last straw was when she looked at The Ugly socks and said "oh, they're so cute!". In the end, the family decided that they were kind of like the circus...

So, Mom is now the proud owner of a lovely (hideous) pair of Jaywalkers. Sadly, I never got a chance to take pictures of her feet, so you'll have to settle for this one.


So all is well with the world; I've found a new recipient for handmade socks, Mom has something to warm her feet, and I don't have to listen to BBMM mocking the Circus Socks. Good times...

Pattern: Jaywalkers, by Grumperina, from Magknits. My love for this pattern is complete; I will probably join the rest of the blogosphere in knitting several pairs of these. It's easy enough to be a portable, pick-up-at-any-time knit. It's interesting enough to not create second sock syndrome. I knit the larger size, over 84 stitches.

Yarn and Needles: Opal , 75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon. Less than one skein of color # 3. I used size 0 aluminum DPN's, for some ridiculously tight gauge that I didn't write down anywhere. The yarn is not the softest stuff in the world, but it's certainly acceptable. It's not itchy, it's just not luscious. I still have another full skein of this stuff left over. Maybe Mom and I need matching socks...

Mods: The only thing I changed was the cuff ribbing. I didn't like the way 2x2 rib looked in this yarn, and I wanted the ribbing to match up to the leg pattern a little better. So I cast on 80 stitches and worked a 1x1 twisted rib. On the last row of ribbing I increased a stitch at the end of each needle to get me back to 84 stitches. This got me a ribbing i liked, and the knit stitches matched up to the center knit stitch in the leg pattern. From there on out, everything was done exactly as written.

If I Could Do It Over: Oh, and I will. I liked the ribbing mod I made, so I would do that again. And you might notice something in the picture above; I just knit and knit without thinking, and there's a nasty bit of extra striping at the ankle. Had I been thinking, I could have made the stripes match at that point. Other than that, I would not change a thing. This is just the perfect pattern for self-striping yarns; I might make another pair with the Regia Silk leftover from Devan. I bet Mom would like those too...

Next in the queue, a new pair of socks for BBMM, knit from yarn bought at Rhinebeck. And of course, more stole. I'm up to 100 rows, and I've got a lot of football to watch today. May the force be with me!

Labels: