type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Blob... In Color!

So I've gotten a pretty good swath of knitting done in the last few weeks, but as I mentioned last time, it's still blobby.

I recently got a subscription to Interweave Knits, and when my first issue arrived, I was immediately smitten with the Mosaic Yoke Jacket (Ravelry link). This was one of those that I had to cast on Right Now. I had an approximate bushel sized load of black Bernat Lana in the stash, so I grabbed a skein and went. In less than a day I had continued the stash-dive, come up with a whole new set of colors, and was on the way.

The original pattern has black and dark grey as the main color: I had those. The colored yoke called for a whole mess of colors I didn't have, didn't want to wait for, and didn't particularly love. So...



Instead of the rust/gold/white, I went with red/beige/white. And where the original had black/beige/blue, I went black/blue/light grey. Was I afraid of the red/blue transition? Yep. But you know what, I think it works, in an Eddie Bauer Americana sort of way. The blue should go well with the jeans that I will inevitably wear with this. All of the colors except the black, red and white are heathered, which I think softens the transitions a little.

I've been doing a lot of small needle knitting lately, so this worsted thing flew by. I think I finished the knitting in about two weeks. It's been at least another two since then, and I'm still crawling my way through the finishing. The hems are all doubled and sewn, and the tedium may kill me. I haven't even allowed my mind to wander to the weaving in of ends yet. Ugh. My current plan is thirty minutes every evening until I'm done. Except maybe tonight. Writing about finishing fulfills that quota, right?

Labels: