type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

The Next Big Thing


It's nearly 70 degrees outside today, so I thought it might be a good day to start Christmas knitting. Heh.

This is actually a re-do project. A very long time ago, as one of my very first knitting projects, I made Christmas stockings for the family. Everyone coming to Christmas at the cabin got one. I used these patterns (which are fabulous). Unfortunately, I also used a popular discount-store worsted weight acrylic yarn (whose name I won't bother to denigrate here). The colors were a little garish, but that wasn't even the worst part. If you've ever done any colorwork, you know that you want your yarn to have a good deal of spring. Acrylic doesn't play that game. So what I have are stockings with a slightly different gauge for each section of patterning. I also have stockings that won't stretch to accommodate all the little gifts I want to stuff them with. So I had a Christmas fit over the weekend and decided they all needed to be re-done.

I ran off to my favorite LYS and picked myself up a bunch of Cascade 220. I've got a lovely heathered forest green (color # 9447), a nice warm cranberry red (8884), and a naturally sheepy heathered oatmeal sort of thing (2442). I'm swatching tonight, and will be knitting by tomorrow (if I can wait that long). The last time I made these, they went very quickly, and I like to think I am a better and faster knitter now. The only way I won't finish in time is if I succumb to another fit of cast-on-itis. Which, given my recent track record, could happen the moment another knitting magazine shows up at my doorstep.

Oh yeah,my last project is finished, and soaking as I write this. Next time, there will be pictures of a FO.

Labels: