type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Mosaic Yoke Jacket

Another FO, and this one is almost the love of my life.



You may be wondering why "almost". Well, notice it is being modeled by the floor, not me.

Yep, another sweater knit, finished, and washed, only to not fit. This one is at least a size too small, maybe a size & a half. I haven't even bothered to figure out why. Probably a gauge problem.

I can't take it out on the sweater though. Just look at it. There's the main stitch pattern, which is both interesting to look at and to knit.


There's the mosaic yoke. This was my first experience with mosaic knitting, and I have to say, I'm a big fan. It's really fun, and knits really fast. This one was done in garter stitch, and the effect is just beautiful.



Then there are all the little details, which are always my favorite part of a good pattern. First , the shaping on the upper part of the yoke.



Isn't that nice? There's something similar going on at the side "seams":



I had so much fun knitting this. It might fit my mother-in-law, and if it does she gets it. If not, I actually may re-knit the whole thing. I would even mind. It was that good.

Pattern: Mosaic Yoke Jacket (Ravelry link), by Veronik Avery. It's published in Color Style, but was excerpted in the most recent issue of Interweave Knits. Again, a brilliant pattern with lovely details.

Yarn & Needles: All stash yarn for this, perhaps another reason I'm not super upset about the failure of it all. A few skeins of black Bernat Lana, two different shades of grey Paton's Classic Merino, and several leftover bits of Cascade 220.

Most of this was knit on a size 4 aluminum circular, with the yoke in size 6 aluminum circular. The sleeves were knit on size 6 bamboo DPN's.

Mods: Yes, but none that I'd recommend. The hems on this are doubled; the pattern tells you to bind off and then seam them on the inside. In my infinite stupidity, I thought it would be cleaner to do a grafted seam instead. Can you say tedious? Also, the inside didn't lay as flat as I would have liked, since I misjudged the amount of room the grafted seam would take. Bad idea.

If I Could Do It Over: Oh, you know.

Labels: