type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Decisions, Decisions

In a sudden development, I found out yesterday that I am taking a business trip tomorrow. It's one of those quickie trips where I'll be spending more time in the air than at the destination. Of course, to most people, this would be a drag. For a knitter, it means a couple hours in the airport, a couple hours on a plane, and then do it all over again!

So as I'm considering which projects to bring with me, I'm also realizing that some of the longer projects will be done soon. I started the ribbing on the first BBMM sock today, and the second only has about 30 rows left to go. They will be done soon (especially if I bring them with tomorrow). I started the first baby sock last night, and the toe took me just over an hour. If I decide to bring those with tomorrow, I can probably finish them, or come close. I will probably bring both sock sets, but I still have a desperate fear of being stuck in an airport with no knitting. Could anything be more tragic?

As far as the "what to knit next" question, I'm having great trouble deciding. And yes, this is where you come in! I won't be so fancy as to put up a poll, but please throw some opinions into the comments. Options:

1. Baudelaire socks, by Cookie A., from Knitty. If you recall, I've been dreaming about them since before I started the BBMM socks, but now that the moment is here I'm not sure about it. I think it's because I really want to knit them in red, as her sample, and I have only neutral yarn. I would wear the red about once in a lifetime, but they are hot hot hot! I'm sure they would be beautiful in the oatmeal heather I've got though.

2. I'm working on a sock pattern of my own. I've had a great many logistical issues; I think I've started about 4 times, and always ripped out after, at most, one pattern repeat (Part of the problem was the attempted use of The Ugly. God, it's ugly). I have been swatching madly, and I think I've finally found the answer. This would be secret knitting, as I might submit it to Knitty. The deadline for the fall issue of Knitty is June 15th; I doubt if I could work it out, knit a pair, and have someone test knit another pair before then. I would probably submit for the Winter issue instead, so plenty of time for that. Obviously no link to this one, but I already have a name picked out, so it must be inspiring!

3. This sleeveless cabled sweater that I would knit in a linen/cotton blend from my stash. This pattern has been chasing after me for a long time, but I wanted to save it for spring. Now that spring is here, meh. It does have all the things I love in a knit though; small gauge, interesting construction, and cables. Mmmmmmm, cables...

4. I want some knee socks. I think it would be these (because I appear to have an urge to knit socks exclusively by Cookie A. I am fairly certain I'm not the only one). I know, it seems stupid to knit knee socks just in time for summer, but there you have it. My knitting urges clearly do not fall into any logical order. I thought for a while that I wanted to knit argyle knee socks, until I realized there was no way to get around putting in a seam. In my mind, half the fun of socks is the magical lack of seams.

5. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with The Ugly. It hit me last night in a flash; Jaywalkers. I've never knit them before, and since the rest of the blogosphere has, why not play along? It's a simple enough pattern that I think The Ugly might actually work well. If it doesn't I'll have a bonfire with it or something.

6. I found this the other night. Very cute. Not sure if it's me. I might need to ruminate on this one before I decide if it's a go.

So there you have it, six options to choose from. Hopefully by the time I post later this weekend, with your help, I'll have a decision. And as long as the TSA guys decide I look harmless despite the pointy sticks, I should have a nice FO to show off as your reward.

Labels: ,