type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Lies And A Story

In my last post, I said something about having a lot of knitting time this weekend. I may have promised pictures. Ummm, not so much. I think I only worked about 2 rows on the not-socks, and the secret project got ripped out last night. I am telling you, The Ugly simply does not want to cooperate with anything I use it for.

So, in an attempt to appease you, I'll tell you a charming knitting story!

Last week I was riding the subway to work. The train was pretty empty for rush hour. I didn't get a seat, but I had a pole all to myself, so I hooked my arm around it and started knitting (I can knit standing on a moving train, but not without a little support). I'm knitting away, listening to the iPod, happy as a little clam, when someone taps me on the shoulder. I look up, and a young man is motioning me toward his seat. I blinked in disbelief and yanked out the headphones. He motioned again, and said "Would you like to sit?" I don't know if you have ever been to NY and ridden the subways, but this was a shocking development. People will frequently give up a seat to the elderly, or the disabled, or to anyone who looks like they need to sit. But this young man gave me his seat to a perfectly healthy young woman who was knitting. I thanked him profusely and took the seat.

I spend the rest of the ride thinking about him. Was his mother a knitter? His wife? Was he himself a knitter? Surely he must know someone obsessed enough to knit standing up on a moving train! Maybe someone had knit him socks before, and he knew the power of the handmade sock. Or maybe, just maybe, he was just a wonderful human being who woke up that morning and decided to be generous.

No matter how or why it happened, for that one day my faith in humanity was completely restored.

Labels: