type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

OCD Can Be A Good Thing

If you read this often (occasionally? once or twice?) you know that I usually go away for the weekend, to our little place upstate. Every week, I pack up knitting on Thursday night; this generally takes about an hour (I spend 5 minutes after work on Friday packing clothes & toiletries; that is how wrong I am). I usually pack three projects, more if I'm nearly done with something. I pull everything out of the travel bag and make sure I have every possible needle, notion, chart and book I could possibly need. I know that I'm only gone for 48 hours, I do. But you never know what will happen, and I can't even fathom a 4 hour return trip without knitting. The horror!

I have never been so glad in my life. This weekend I brought the BBMM sock, which was nearly done. I brought the baby hat, even though I really wanted to save it for subway knitting. I brought the super-secret sock project, which I fully expected to be my main project all weekend. And, just in case, I threw in the pattern & yarn for the next sweater I'll be making.

BBMM socks: finished before we even hit the interstate. Super-secret socks: Started on the way up. Pattern working. Toe; a little pointy, but lovely. A few repeats onto the foot: seriously too big. Gah. So unraveling she went, and I spent most of the weekend on the "you're never going to need this but bring it anyway" project.


Clearly, I enjoyed knitting this. I'm using a cotton/linen blend from my stash, on size 6 needles. I'm through two skeins already, despite the fact that I didn't start until Saturday. A close-up of the stitch pattern:





There's nothing incredibly difficult about this, but there's something interesting to do every right side row (decreases, YO's) so it remains engaging. I'm about halfway through the back, and since it's sleeveless, that means I'm a quarter of the way done!

I did knit about half a round on the baby hat, but it is officially subway knitting now. It's stockinette, in the round, on size 2 needles. If I had to work on it for a couple hours straight I might literally to die of boredom. So, 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there, and I will be done. Eventually. I may actually bring it to knitting group tomorrow night, as it would be perfect for not-paying-attention and too-much-coffee-can't-control-my-fingers. Good times...

Labels: