type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Sleight Of Hand

I have no interesting pictures for you. I truly feel like the slowest knitter in the world lately,but it's really just life kicking me in the butt. Some extra hours at work, lack of a seat on the train, and all of a sudden several hours of knitting have disappeared this week.

Of course, like the rest of the world, I will be spending the long weekend stuck in traffic trying to get someplace lovely. It means I won't be posting again until at least Tuesday, but it also means lots of knitting time.

In the meantime, I'm going to distract you by talking about knitting podcasts. They are my new favorite thing in the world. Even when I can't knit, I can listen to people talking about knitting, while drowning out the sounds of the subway. Ah, modern technology can be a beautiful thing... so here are some of my favorites, in alphabetical order, because that's how they show up on i-tunes.

1. Cast On, by Brenda Dayne: This is probably one of the most popular knitting podcasts out there. She gives a lot of knitting news, as well as some fabulous interviews, which always include the "deserted island" question. She'll keep you up to date on new podcasts, knitting websites, and the like. If you only have time to listen to one podcast, this would probably be the one. She's also got the most calm, soothing voice in the world; perfect for an irritating commute!

2. It's A Purl Man, by Guido: A male knitter from Boston. He did a podcast just before Mother's Day that featured his mom, and it was seriously cute. He also does some on-location podcasting, and quite a few interviews; one recently with some sheep farmers!

3. KnitPicks podcast, by Kelley Petkun: Brought to you by KnitPicks, the online knitting store. This is a new podcast; they only have 4 episodes so far. This is more informational than entertaining. The most recent podcast was all about the knitty gritty of wool (God, I love puns); cuticles and crimp and the whole deal. It makes me want to take notes.

4. Lime & Violet, by, uhhhh, Lime & Violet: Maybe the funniest knitting podcast ever. Lots and lots of yarn pron, and occasionally snort-laughing. And they love to knit socks. Fair warning though; this is NOT a clean podcast. Ever.

5. Stash & Burn, by Nicole & Jenny: I believe this is a pretty new one as well. It is, of course, full of tips about burning through your stash.

6. Sticks & String, by David Reidy: A podcast by an Australian bloke who knits. A really nice podcast that tends to cover a lot of ground; he does a lot of reviews & interviews, and a lot of "roving" podcasts. He's been to quite a few festivals lately, and usually does an interview while he's at one. I find this supremely interesting because of the differences in what he can get versus what I can. For example, it took him months of searching to be able to get KnitPicks needles (the horror!). Plus you get to listen to the cool Aussie dialect.

Alright, now go listen to some podcasts and pretend that I've given you something interesting here. I promise I will reward you with pictures next week. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Labels: