type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Slow Progress

There's been one more incident of sock ripping since last time. This was a simple mistake knitting the stitch pattern. It happened less than an inch into it, but a didn't discover it until over an inch after that. I really, really didn't want to do it again. So I tried it out on a non-knitter; I showed BBMM one side of the sock, then the other, and asked if he noticed a difference. "You mean that big gnarled thing right in the middle there?" Sigh. I tried tinking back, but it was way too tedious. So one more do-over, and I managed to perfect my cast-on while I was at it. I have now officially knit to the point where I usually rip.



Keep your fingers crossed; the next day or so would appear to be crucial. Maybe it's all the practice, but it's actually knitting really quickly; I only started this version yesterday. Here's a little detail shot, in the closest of all close-ups.



Part of the reason for the quick progress is the complete and total ease of memorizing the pattern. It's a 6 stitch, 2 row repeat. The second row of the repeat is just knit around. I think I had it down by row 10 or so (the first time I knit it). So I can work on it not only on the train, but standing around waiting for the train.

A little more progress on the current sweater, as well. Not much; this is the at-home project, and there hasn't been much time at home lately. But nonetheless:



Past the armholes; I've only got about 5 inches left, then a little short row shaping for the shoulders. The front is the same until the neck split, so that should go quickly. Trust me when I say that this looks much better when stretched out slightly. It will never have hanger appeal, but I think it's going to look great on. I'm hoping for August.

Labels: ,