type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Baby Boom

Yet another new project jumped onto the needles last week. This seems to happen any time I don't have to go to work. Hmm.

There are two pregnant women at work, one of whom is a close friend of mine (let's call her Katie, and the other one Carrie). This is the second child for both. The first time they were pregnant, they were due within a month of each other, totally unplanned. They both had boys. (That set of babies was the reason I learned to knit; when I told my MIL that Katie was pregnant, she dragged me to a Michael's and insisted I would learn to knit a baby blanket. That baby blanket never made it past three inches of acrylic nastiness, but I did manage to crank out a pair of booties.)

So this time around, Katie announced she was pregnant. Carrie pulled her aside and said she was too. They compared due dates, and this time they are due within a week of each other. And of course, they are both having boys. They are due in early March, but Katie was almost a month early last time, so I thought it might be time to get cracking on a little baby boy cuteness.



They are both getting Trellis, but if different colors. This is the completed back and fronts of the first one. It's knit in Lerke, a new yarn by Dale that's a merino-cotton blend; perfect for spring. This one's a pale aqua color, and the other will be in a heathered beige. The yarn is great to work with; all the softness and sproinginess of wool, with the beautiful cable-popping definition of cotton. Speaking of cable-popping, here's a close-up of the front cable panel:



Lovely, no? The back is essentially same, but with a seed stitch panel down the center back, bordered by twisted knit stitches. Oh, did you want to see that too?


This weekend it's all about the sleeves. While they're blocking I'll be able to work on the collar, and then the seaming party will begin. If I have time, I'd like to make some matching hats and booties, but we'll see. The wedding stole is crying out for attention, so I may need to soothe her for a while before moving on...

Labels: