type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

The Christmas Project

Over the last few years, I've gotten a lot of oddballs of yarn from various family members. Some of it is probably well over 20 years old, but it's almost always in perfect shape. Somewhere along the way I got these.




It appears to be 2 skeins of variegated yarn, with matching solids. It's also a very thin fingering weight, unplied, in the scratchiest wool imaginable. I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I would never want it against my skin, so socks & mittens were out. Maybe something felted, but what?

One day while staring at it, I decided to wind them into balls. I unfurled a variegated skein, and found this.




See those little tags? It wasn't a variegated skein at all. Many, many short runs of color. In fact, each of the loops is two different colors, tied together at the ends. They're around 12 to 15 yards long each.




I have to assume it's some sort of sampler, but if any of you have any idea, let me know. I am flummoxed.

All these short lengths of yarn got me thinking about tiny things. And since I'm always thinking about knitting socks anyway, it ended up with tiny Christmas stocking ornaments.




I used a full length of both the red and white for this one. I want to do some in stripes, which I think will take 2 of the main color and one of the contrast. I've taken out the Christmassy colors.




(There is a lot. I've started putting colors together. If I only use each color once for a main color, and once for contrast, I can do about twelve. If I use all that I have, and just don't make the exact same sock twice, it will be in the dozens. If I do twelve, I'll give them as stocking stuffers (heh) this Christmas. If I do dozens, I can hang a bunch of them on my tree too. Hmmm...

Labels: , ,