type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Progress Report

Just an update today, but I'll have some pictures for you next week.

Baudelaire and I still aren't speaking. I'll take her along with me this weekend, but no guarantees that she'll make it out of the knitting bag.

I took the second Quill Lace sock to knitting night with me yesterday, and made some progress. It's ready for it's heel turn, Mr. DeMille! I'll be working on that tonight.

The sleeveless sweater. Sigh. It's finished. The knitting is done, the seaming is done, the ends are woven. It is unwearable. It's bulky, the neckline is too high, and it's a little too loose. I'm hoping a wash and a block will fix it; it's mostly linen, so a good dunk may be just what it needs. If not, it will get thrown into a drawer, never to be seen again. Either way, you will see pictures of it next week; I won't get around to washing it until the weekend.

During my break from Baudelaire, I've cast on for the Bob Dobbs Sweater from Domiknitrix. This is going to be a "break" project. It's stockinette in the round, so it's not the most stimulating thing to work on. I'll use it for movie watching, or those times when complicated socks are wearing me down. Like now. Two hundred stitches worth of 1x1 rib feels strangely soothing. I also discovered a new (for me) cast-on. It's a simple tubular cast-on, perfect for 1x1 rib. I've worked the one that requires a provisional cast-on, a few rows of stockinette, then knitting the back needle to the front. It's lovely, but slow and annoying. This one starts with your working yarn, and involves a lot of quick hand twisting and grabbing yarn with your needle. It was a little hard to understand at first, but once I figured it out it was quick and easy. It is almost as clean looking as the provisional tubular cast-on, but in 1/4 the time!

The Christmas project is also progressing. I spent a soothing evening sorting colors, and figuring out how much I had of everything. I cast on the second ornament last night, this time in stripes! This will be temporary subway knitting, until I get the heel turned on the Quill Lace.

I tend to be pretty faithful to one home project and one travel project, but since I got back I've been flitting around from thing to thing. As such, I don't know what I'll end up working on this weekend; maybe lots of things.

Labels: