type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Oh Duh

I've decided that the term "mindless knitting" should be abolished from my vocabulary. A stitch pattern might be mindless, and the thought required to actually accomplish said stitch pattern might be mindless, but the knitting itself? I need to stop being mindless about it.

Oh, do you sense an example coming on?

The last time we visited the latest pair of socks, they were about a dozen rows plus ribbing away from being completed. Those dozen rows were mindlessly knit, then the ribbing was mindlessly knit, then the bind-off was mindlessly accomplished. I gave the sock to BBMM so he could try it on. When next I glanced at him, he had THAT LOOK on his face. You know the look; it's the one that says "there's something wrong and I really really really don't want to be the one to tell you about it". I looked at his foot. The sock was on his foot. Not on his leg though, just on his foot. Stuck at the heel.

Lesson 1: When you notice that your stitch pattern doesn't stretch quite as much as a regular ribbing, you should pause and consider that instead of, you know, mindlessly knitting.

Lesson 2: When you are knitting a second pair of socks for the same person, using the same technique and the same yarn, you should really look back at what you did the first time.

Lesson 3: When every pair of socks you have knit in the last century needs to be ripped back to the heel because the leg is too tight, you really ought to have people try on their socks just after the heel. You should not wait until you have mindlessly knit 100 rounds and a bind-off.

Lesson 4: I don't learn my lessons very quickly.

So yes, I picked out the bind-off, I frogged, I tinked, and I ended up at the heel. I took out the size 1 needles. Here we go again; only 98 rows to go.

Labels: ,