type="image/x-icon" /> " type="image/x-icon" />

Yarnmule




"Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while,
then take up the sock again." - Dorothy Day

Quill Lace

Look at that; two finished pairs in one week!



Again, a few more pictures here.

Incidentally, sorry if those of you with blog readers had some issues this morning. For some reason, every time I tried to insert a picture this entry would magically post. Not sure why, but the extra editing might have caused multiple entries. Blogger is fun!

Pattern: Quill Lace by , again from Knitty. This is a really nice, simple stitch pattern. The end result looks more difficult than it is (impress your friends!). It's cuff down with a heel flap; I haven't done this in ages. I forgot how easy it is! The fit is also pretty incredible. I was so worried about running out of yarn that I did a short cuff; only 4" before I started the heel flap. In retrospect, I could have added at least one, maybe two inches. But these are a lighter weight, summery sock, so the shorter length is OK by me.

Yarn and Needles: Tofutsies, 50% superwash wool, 25% Soysilk, 22.5% cotton, 2.5% chitin. One ball of color 737, Footsteps, with plenty left over. I added reinforcement (Wooly Nylon) to the toe and heel. The yarn is much thinner than most sock yarns, so I knit on size 00 aluminum DPN's. I actually started on 000's, which I preferred on the stockinette portions. I just couldn't work the pattern stitch at that gauge though, so I went up one needle size. It took me a long time to warm up to this yarn, I think just because it's so different. It really doesn't feel wooly at all, and I never would have guessed it's half wool. It's light like cotton, and the Soysilk really does give it a very smooth feel. There's also some strange combinations of pooling and striping going on. When I first noticed it I though it would really, really bother me, but it doesn't. I'm not sure if that's because the pattern stitch draws your eye away from it, or because the color is so subtle it doesn't pop out at me. Either way, now that I'm done, I love it. It looks like a yarn that will split a lot, but it doesn't, even after repeated, endless frogging and reknitting. It's very, very easy to work with once you get used to the smaller gauge. I'm not a big fan of their bright pastel colorways, but they seem to be adding some darker colors for fall, so I imagine I will pick some up. Highly, highly recommended for summer socks.

Mods: My gauge was tighter than the pattern called for, so I cast on 84 stitches instead of the 60 called for by the pattern. This barely fits; I have to tug a little to get it over my heel. I like socks tight though, and the pattern really looks best when it's stretched out. I also added one row of K1, P1 ribbing a the top in an effort to make the top edge stop curling. It helped a bit, but it does still curl somewhat when laid flat. On the foot though, it's fine, and I probably needn't have bothered.

If I Could Do It Over: I don't think I would change anything. I don't even think I would have added length to the cuff. These were a fantastic commuting project, since the pattern is so easily memorized, and they were very soothing knitting.

Funny KIP Story: When I was first starting this, I pulled it out of my bag on the subway. I woman sitting near me gave me a look of complete and utter horror. I smiled, and she asked, very cautiously "What are you making?". I said socks. She practically collapsed in relief, and said, "Oh I was so worried that was a sleeve, and you were going to make a whole sweater out of that thin yarn!" Heh. That could kill the strongest soul.

Labels: